Senior Analyst – Estimates centre of expertise
Contract type: Permanent
Overview and main purpose of the job
The estimates centre of expertise is a central team which works across mainly our financial audit practice. It is responsible for implementing our estimates and model review strategy which has four main objectives:
• To build and maintain a landscape view of all government accounting estimates, the models which underpin them and their associated risks;
• To ensure our audit techniques are appropriate, efficient and deliver high quality outputs;
• To identify where expertise is needed and consult appropriately, ensuring there is an effective balance between demand and supply; and
• To use the outputs of our work to influence our clients.
The successful post-holder will play a major role in implementing the existing strategy and setting the direction for future work, as well as contributing more widely to the NAO’s capability and knowledge of auditing complex models and estimates.
Full details of the responsibilities can be found in the attached job description.
Key skills and competencies required
• Strong academic background with either: a minimum 2:1 degree in a discipline with a substantial quantitative analytical component (e.g. statistics, economics, management science/operations research, finance or data analytics, social research methods) or; a masters degree with a substantial quantitative or research component.
• Advanced skills in using MS Excel and programming languages including R and R Shiny.
• Experience of using analytical techniques (e.g. statistics, operational research, economics, data science) to produce quantitative models and/or deliver quantitative analysis to challenging timescales.
• Experience of collecting data and information from a range of people and using that information to create interactive application which brings that information to life and helps people make decisions.
• Self-starter with ability to prioritise and deliver work to a high standard and exercise sound judgement in decision-making, with the flexibility to change priorities when required.
• Good team player with the ability to build good relationships, solve problems pragmatically and display strong interpersonal skills.
• Good stakeholder management skills and the ability to build relationships across a range of levels to obtain buy-in and support for data quality activities.
You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
Full list of the required competencies can be found in the attached job description.
Submit a CV and a brief covering letter outlining your motivation and suitability for the role.
Deadline for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 20th February.
The recruitment process will include online tests and a face-to-face interview.
The NAO welcomes applications from everyone. We value diversity in all its forms and the difference it makes to our organisation. By removing barriers and creating an inclusive culture all our people have the opportunity to develop and maximise their full potential. As members of the Business Disability Forum and Disability Confident Scheme we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.
The NAO supports flexible working and is happy to discuss this with you at application stage.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.