Digital Services: Head of Digital Operations
Contract type: Permanent
Main purpose of the job:
The National Audit Office (NAO) supports parliament to hold government to account and to improve public services. We focus on driving long-term sustainable improvement in public service delivery and work with government and our stakeholders to deliver better performance. In a nutshell, we help the nation spend wisely.
The principle responsibility of the Head of Digital Operations (HDO) is to ensure the ongoing operational viability of the NAO’s digital estate. They will lead the Infrastructure & Operations teams to maintain, sustain and secure all NAO digital services.
The role will directly oversee all; IT service management, service strategy, infrastructure, network, operations & cloud computing. The postholder will devise and implement a new operations strategy and operating model for NAO Digital Services, encompassing cloud computing and greater use of analytics and automation.
The post holder will also act as the deputy for the Director, Digital Services within the NAO.
The Head of Digital Operations has personal ownership of the operations, infrastructure and cloud computing functions for the NAO. The NAO will complete transition to full cloud computing by 2021. A key component of this journey will be to have a revised digital operating model, optimised for the; provision, governance, management and delivery of cloud services. A revised operating model will comprise a new cloud-focused operations capability within Digital Services. In addition to identifying a new way of operating, existing services and targets must continue to be delivered. Summary responsibilities include:
• A new strategy & transformation roadmap for NAO digital operations
• Delivering IT service management across the NAO’s digital estate
• Infrastructure management – ensuring on-premises, hybrid and cloud workloads remain operational
• Leading operations teams
• Deputising for the Director, Digital Services.
Full details of the responsibilities can be found in the attached job description.
Personal skills & experience
• Confident communicator at all levels of the organisation (written, verbal and visual);
• Ability to influence outcomes and gain buy-in for new initiatives and ways of working;
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills with an attention to detail;
• Strong organisation and co-ordination skills
Business & technical skills &experience:
Principles of managing digital systems, delivery and service provision within the following areas:
• Strong understanding of technical concepts, specifically in the areas of; infrastructure, compute power, storage, networking and cloud computing;
• Proven track record in operational DS management combined with excellent planning skills used for planning operational activities, resources, teams and projects;
• Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills with customers, key stakeholders and senior staff as well as technical staff at all levels, including presentation skills;
• Strong awareness of digital standards, methods, principles, tools and applications with a proven ability to make the correct choice from alternatives supported by a strong awareness of the IT industry and government digital trends and developments
Level of experience of post-holder
• Significant experience of a wide range of technology architectures, services, systems & devices
• Significant experience of leading IT operations teams
• Significant experience in a technology management role
• Significant experience of IT stakeholder management, business relationship management and customer service excellence
You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
Full details of the required competencies can be found in the attached job description.
Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
The deadline for applications is 11.55pm on Sunday 1st Dec
The NAO provides a supportive environment focussed on high quality work and the development of our people. Our strategic objectives and values underpin everything we do and will form the basis of our recruitment assessment, these are captured in the attached Framework of Behaviours.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a host of benefits, as set out in the attached reward statement.