Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer is to provide technical support across a broad range of technologies through strong working relationships with internal IT staff, the IT service desk and third-party support providers. A significant proportion of time is spent on project delivery of infrastructure development.
Developing the infrastructure
The post-holder will be proactive in developing and maintaining their technical awareness, researching industry developments, and where appropriate, making recommendations for improvement, and will represent technical leadership in their specialist field to ensure performing and available IT services.
Building the infrastructure
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer is typically involved in supporting large/medium scale projects and managing small projects through its lifecycle.
As required, lead on early life support, providing documentation and targeted training to support engineers and facilitating a smooth transition to production.
Maintaining the infrastructure
Advise and specify preventive maintenance and administration tasks to monitor and alert, patch and maintain, and backup and recover key business systems.
Supporting the infrastructure
A proportion of time is spent providing 3rd line technical support through management of escalated technical issues through strong working relationships within Digital Services and with third party providers.
Full information about the role and responsibilities can be found in the attached job description.
Key skills/competencies required:
- Demonstrable experience in a technical role covering at least three or more of the Technical Knowledge areas listed below.
- Demonstrable experience contributing to the delivery of implementation or upgrade projects in one or more of the Technical Knowledge areas listed below.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016
- Active Directory/Azure Active Directory
- Azure IAAS
- Office 365
- SCCM / Intune
- VMware / ESX
- SAN technologies - inc EMC / NetApp
- Cisco Networking (Routers, Switching)
- Cisco Telephony (Call Manager)
- Windows 10/Office 365 ProPlus
- Symantec NetBackup
- Firewall (FortiNet)
Full details of the required competencies can be found in the attached job description.
You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
- To apply candidates should provide an up to date CV and covering letter setting out briefly why you are suitable for this role.
- Application deadline is 23:55 on 31/05/2019
The NAO welcomes applications from everyone. We value diversity in all its forms and the difference it makes to our organisation. By removing barriers and creating an inclusive culture all our people have the opportunity to develop and maximise their full potential. As members of the Business Disability Forum and Disability Confident Scheme we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.
The NAO supports flexible working and is happy to discuss this with you at application stage.