Digital Services – Data Analytics Developer
Contract type: 2 year fixed term contract
Main purpose of the job:
Digital Services – Azure Data Analytics:
The Digital Services team within Corporate Services provides support for and the development of several Data Analytics solutions based on-premises and within Azure. It is the intention to migrate all Data Analytics solutions to Azure at the earliest opportunity.
These solutions utilise or will utilise the Azure data analytics stack including products such as Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, Blob Storage, Azure Analysis Services and Azure SQL DB. Azure-based solutions are intended to be scalable and support “Big Data” scale engineering and analysis.
On-premises solutions use the Microsoft SQL Server BI stack including SQL Server Enterprise, Reporting Services (SSRS), Analysis services (SSAS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and present data via
Tableau Server and Excel.Data Analytics Developer:
In this development role, the Data Analytics developer is responsible for the timely delivery of data analytics technical artefacts that meet the business objectives of the NAO, according to the relevant Sprint Plan and Project deadlines.
The Data Analytics Developer develops and maintains the organization’s front-line Data Analytics platforms (AIMS & Data Service) for the purposes of Financial Audit and Value for Money outputs and the Enterprise Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence solution (NAOBI) for the purposes of Enterprise Reporting and back-office Analysis.
The Data Analytics Developer is expected to work under the Azure Data Architect helping to design and deliver the optimal Data Analytics solutions required by the business. They are also expected to collaborate alongside the other teams within Digital Services (Infrastructure Operations, Service Operations & Digital Assurance, Salesforce & Integration, Digital Audit, Content & Collaboration) both operationally and for cross-departmental projects.
Data Analytics Delivery (60%)
• Implement Data Analytics solutions, initially On Premises and (increasingly) within Azure.
• Build and maintain a mixture of T-SQL stored procedures, SSIS ETL packages, Azure ADF Pipelines & Azure Databricks Notebooks to extract and transform data from line of business applications.
• Provide input on issues and solve programming challenges by participating in database engineering activities.
Business Analysis (15%)
• Collaborate with Business Architects and Analysts to gather and analyse business requirements, objectives and desired features for the NAO BI platform.
SQL Server & Azure Data Analytics Support (15%)
• Deliver support on Infrastructure issues and solve Database Administration challenges, by participating in database administration activities.
• Work with the DS Operations team to ensure that the NAO SQL Server estate (on-premises) and Azure Infrastructure is available in accordance with agreed service levels and operates within agreed capacity and performance levels
• To provide 3rd line support for fault diagnosis and fixing data analytics services incidents and problems ensuring an effective service is provided in accordance with agreed service levels.
Project Planning (5%)
• Analyse and estimate feasibility, time, and efforts for the technical aspects of a solution in order to contribute to Digital Services’ resource and project planning.
Data Analytics Architecture (5%)
• Assist in the production of Data Analytics solution design & architecture documents.
• Assist in defining standards and best practices for data architecture and related technologies from an enterprise perspective.
Full details of the responsibilities can be found in the attached job description.
• Previous proven experience of developing on-premises Corporate BI using the classic Microsoft BI stack.
• Knowledge of relational database technologies and concepts, in particular SQL Server & T-SQL is essential.
• Communication skills in dealing with a range of customers, clear abilities to recognize and respond to business issues and priorities is essential.
• Strong analytical skills, good problem solving is essential.
• Knowledge of classic Microsoft Business Intelligence Tools - SSIS, SSAS (MDX & DAX), SSRS is highly desirable.
• Experience creating Dashboards with Tableau Desktop or another BI visualisation tool is highly desirable.
• Ability to learn and develop cloud-based data analytics development skills rapidly and effectively is important.
• An understanding (but not expertise) of Dimensional data modelling (Kimball) is required.
• Previous exposure to working using Agile methodology would be highly desirable, in particular using Azure DevOps to manage personal workload.
• Previous Exposure to Azure-based Data Analytics technologies, such as Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, would be an added benefit.
• Existing Exposure to managing Azure Cloud Infrastructure through the Azure Portal, ARM or Terraform would be an added benefit. You must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.
- Submit a CV and a brief covering letter outlining your motivation and suitability for the role.
- Successful candidates will need to complete a task and attend an interview
- The deadline for applications is Sunday 10th November 2019, 11:55pm.We value diversity in all its forms and the difference it makes to our organisation. By removing barriers and creating an inclusive culture all our people have the opportunity to develop and maximise their full potential.
The NAO provides a supportive environment focussed on high quality work and the development of our people. Our strategic objectives and values underpin everything we do and will form the basis of our recruitment assessment, these are captured in the attached Framework of Behaviours.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a host of benefits, as set out in the attached reward statement.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.